Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nearsighted People Are Better Friends

I wear glasses; well, I do when I have to. Actually, I'm supposed to wear them all the time. But I am able to see what I need to get by in my home. When someone is curious about my eyesight, they often ask, "Are you near or farsighted? I always have to pause for a minute and think about that....let's see, it's opposite of the words. I can see clearly when things are near so, then I can answer, "I'm farsighted."

These past few weeks have been troublesome to me. The earpiece on my glasses came apart. The soldering failed to hold it together. Now I didn't purchase these locally, so it has been a service nightmare. We'll save that story for another time, perhaps. I could not drive since I can't see far away and I have depth perception issues. I finally found that jewelers actually can fix these things. I got them fixed and returned to a normal lifestyle this week. :-)

This along with my devotions in Ephesians got me to pondering this morning and I've decided that nearsighted people are better friends.

If you can see far away, you can go places alone or bring someone with you. If you can't see far away, you have to get a nearsighted friend to help you. If your friend is farsighted and has the same deficiencies that you do with eyesight, then you'll not be able to venture very far from where you are, unless of course, they have eyeglasses.

While I had this issue with my glasses, I complained a lot. Yes, I did. I had to ask people to come closer. I couldn't drive and had to wait for someone to take me places. I had to move the computer closer to me so I could work. My eyes got tired more easily and I was irritable more often. The immediate things overshadowed and drowned opportunities that I might have had.

I find that's true in my spiritual life as well. Paul tells us in Ephesians that we need to put on the armor of God daily. Why? Because if we don't we're farsighted and not a very good friend to have. We lack the things that would give us power, strength, peace and faith. Without these things, we will not be able to stand strong. We'll be complainers and doubters. We won't be able to do anything on our own. We'll need others to prop us up and drive us places. We might even have unintentional failures where we could have succeeded if we'd only put on our glasses, our spiritual armor.

Nearsighted people are more like Christ. They don't ignore the immediate, but they balance it by what they see in the future. They see the opportunities in things, not the overwhelming hard work that must be done today to get there. They see the good in the person that's currently contentious because they don't understand; they see this persons need for knowledge and they take the time to instruct them knowing that they will become the next Sunday School teacher with enthusiasm and impact.

You see, nearsighted people are better friends. They put their glasses on daily. They might have to take them off for a moment and clean them from all the mud that was kicked up in their face, but when they put those glasses back on, they keep looking ahead and pursuing the prize that is set before them. Why? Because they put on their armor every day.

I'll let the Word of God have the last say. Ephesians 6:10-18 in The Message Version:

"And that about wraps it up. God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.

Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon. In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each others spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out."

I don't know about you, but I'm putting my glasses on this morning. I want to be a nearsighted friend of God today!

No comments:

Post a Comment