Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Can you see in the dark?

I can see in the dark. Well, that is when my eyes adjust. I know some people can't do that very well. My husband gets a little aggravated with me at times over that. I'm really not sure why; it's a puzzle. lol He says I have cat eyes. Can cats truly see in the dark? Why cats? Can dogs see in the dark? I don't know. I guess I'll have to look into that later as I digress....

We are so drawn by the obvious; what we see with our eyes. The beautiful compels us. The ugly repels us. We are quick to judge. First impressions are lasting, don't you know.

We are going through the hiring process again and now that I am located several states away from our corporate office, I participate by phone. It's amazing what you see when you're actively listening. One of the best resources I ever hired I never met face-to-face until after he was on our staff for a couple weeks. You truly don't have to meet someone face-to-face in order to get to know them.

We are warned, encouraged and taught to be careful to make a good first impression. Make sure we are dressed appropriately for the occasion, make sure we demonstrate good personal hygiene and comportment.

We are also warned not to judge others just by what we see. Give people a second chance, we are told. The cold fact of the matter is that's a lot easier said than done. We must be constantly vigilant and work hard at leaving the measuring stick in the closet.

CeeLo Green made a statement I heard that I can't get away from and it's so true. He said, "Everyone is the same color when the lights are out." Think about that for a while. If I was writing in Biblical times, I'd say, 'Selah'.

The Bible tells us that God looks on the heart. He is concerned more with our heart because from there the true motivation of a person will eventually be seen or will become evident in actions. If we can get our heart right, the other things will fall into place.

As I ponder today, I close my eyes and think about the people I admire most. Is it because of what I see with my physical eyes, or am I attracted to the condition of their heart. To be fair, there are people I really don't like. I'm pondering those too. Am I being unfair and judgmental because of what I see with my eyes or is it because of what I see in the dark?

No comments:

Post a Comment