Saturday, November 7, 2015

Finding the Awe in Daily Living

A friend of mine wrote a status on Facebook today that got me to pondering..........

Where is God in your everyday life?  I'm not talking about the 30 minutes to hour that you set aside  to read your Bible and greet the Lord in daily prayer.  I'm talking about the blessings and opportunities that come our way on a daily basis that are God ordained but we failed to recognize.

You see, I truly do believe that my steps are ordered by the Lord. Every step.  A couple of people recently said that I over spiritualize my life.  Really?  I'm sad for them.  Being blinded to the love of God and his provisions in every area of our lives is one of the greatest blessings I have and cherish.

Let me see if I can illustrate this for you by recounting some of the 'awe' moments in my last two weeks.

  • Doctors full of compassion and knowledge providing the level of treatment needed to get me on the road to recovery quickly.  Without these doctors and their knowledge, people used to die from bacterial infection.  Where did this knowledge come from......?
  • Nurses who provided encouragement and pain management when the hospital was busy and their work load heavy.  Believe me, there's nothing worse than a nurse who doesn't really care and is just trying to get the job done.  Nurses who take the time to be encouraging and kind are a blessing in this day and age of staffing shortages.
  • Spouse who is selfless and caring.  I see all the negativity about men and husbands so I know the treasure, the blessing God has given me. 
  • Friends who encourage and bring treats.  I can't even imagine life without friends who are 'there' for you.  Did you know there are people that don't have these kinds of relationships?  
  • Unplanned for expenses covered by an unexpected bonus and a rebate check.  Timing is everything they say.  I say God knows our every need and supplies them.
  • Retailers who care about the patient and go above and beyond.  This is becoming more rare as days go by.  I called Walgreens to refill a prescription for my daddy.  Unfortunately the script was supposed to last 4 weeks but had only lasted 2 weeks.  The phone rep said it was rejected with a message indicating we were trying to refill it too soon.  I asked them to see if an override could be obtained and she said no and suggested I call the doctors office for a new prescription with a different dosage or formulary.  Long story short, that wasn't an option. They said we'd just have to pay the 109.00 and be happy it wasn't a higher priced item.  So we bit the bullet and went to pay for the refill.  Upon arriving, the pharmacist was the person trying to help in the very busy drive thru window.  He said, 'The insurance is denying this as a fill too early request.  Let me call and get an override for you."  We cheerfully agreed to let him try and come back later.  I said a short prayer for his success under my breath as we left.  You guessed it....we returned and paid 2.65.  
  • Family, how can we forget our daily blessings of family relationships.  Whether it's a quick text message, a picture posted on Facebook or a call, or that family member who lives with you and provides love and care, these are blessings from above.
I think the problem with us is we are looking for the sensational, the miracles, the Wowsers. We have access to the sensational at our fingertips.  We are desensitized to the daily blessings and provisions we have because of Gods love and care for his people.

I believe his word.  He said in Psalm 37:23 "The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way."  I am finding the awe of God in my daily living.  If you take a moment to ponder along with me, I'm positive you can too.


No comments:

Post a Comment