Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Faithless Wife vs. The Harlot

I love to read the Bible and learn the principles that create a great foundation for a successful life. My husband taught me a long time ago the value of reading Proverbs every day. I love it. What I find difficult, however, is the prophets in the Old Testament. All the types and shadows, allegory's and prophesy challenge me so much that I honestly lose interest. BUT......

I decided to try once more to read one of them. Actually, a message I heard recently tweaked my interest and I thought I'd try to read Ezekiel. I mean, really, if these books were not important in some way, then God would never have moved upon folks to write them. Right?

Right! Man did the Word of God speak to my heart today. You see I'm in chapter 16 of Ezekiel. God is talking to him about Judah, and how she played the harlot. God took Judah and created something wonderful out of nothing. He gave them embroidered clothing, jewels fit for a king, fed them with the tastiest of pastries and sweets and gave them beauty as well. Judah was the envy of all the people around them. She had everything!

Then it all fell apart. Judah played the role of a harlot. She began taking the things she was given and created images and began worshiping idols instead of the God who created her beauty and provided for her. She began trusting in herself instead of the God who provided all things. Judah began to praise and promote herself. But it didn't stop there, Judah also taught the next generation to do the same.

What really grabbed my attention, however, is the fact that God changes His characterization of Judah in this chapter. Instead of being a harlot, he says, you are a faithless wife. You are giving it away free. You are not even charging for your harlotry. So you've taken your wickedness to a more depraved state. You're a wife who should be committed to your relationship, but you are throwing it all away for nothing!

Then I stop to think about this. What role am I playing today? Am I the real deal? Am I living like royalty and appreciating the blessings and beauty that God has created in my life? Am I appreciating His provisions in my life and walking in the way I know I should? Am I trusting God to provide my needs? Am I promoting myself instead of letting God promote me? Am I teaching my children to live for God in a way that brings glory to Him and appreciates the life He has blessed us with?

Or am I the faithless wife or harlot? Have I lost sight of the value of God's blessings and provisions and become just like Judah? Am I acting like a faithless wife? Worse than a harlot? I made my life's commitment to walk with God, love Him and serve Him. So He forgave me of my sins and washed me with His blood and gave me salvation. Am I faithful? Is my relationship with God a priority? Do I talk to Him every day? Do I seek His favor in all I do and say? Do I take my daily needs to the Lord and trust Him to take care of them? You know, leave it there?

The NEB version of the Bible puts it this way. "We are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to devote ourselves to the good deeds for which God has designed us". (Eph. 2:10) I need to remember that I am significant and unique, not because of what I do, but because of whose I am.

1 comment: