Saturday, September 12, 2009

Two for one

I love bargains. Actually, I love bargains that are truly a bargain. The reason I say that is that some of these fast food restaurants have "meal" deals. Some times when you add up the items separately, they are really not a bargain at all. They are just wrapped up with pretty packaging that makes you feel like you just got a bargain.

There's a scripture that talks about two for one. Matthew 5:41 says "If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." Now just so we get this right let's talk a bit about what was going on here. Jesus was teaching and he was using law of that day as his reference in teaching. This law was that if a soldier required you to carry his pack, then you had to do it. But it put a cap on how far; one mile. Jesus was teaching the people to go the second mile. Do more than you are asked to do.

This is truly a valuable principle to learn. One story that uses this scripture says that if you only go the first mile you only get what's expected, but when you go the second mile, you make a friend.

Service to one another is rewarding. It is work too. Doing more than is required, going the extra mile, giving more than was asked for takes a special kind of mentality. It's called a servants heart. Jesus Christ declared that he came to serve and tells us we should also seek to serve. Serving one another takes love and compassion.

Matter of fact, out of all of the fruit of the spirit, love is the greatest. Why? Because by this trait, Jesus says, they will know you are my disciples. He also states that if we don't have love, then we are not his.

Love is the only trait that I know of that will cause you to go the second mile. Love is the only trait that will motivate you to sacrifice your time, energy, and money for another person or a worthy cause.

So where's the bargain in this? How is this "Two for One" principle a bargain? I think it's because first you are helping another person and second you reap the benefits of discipleship.

Lest we forget those benefits, let me list just a few.
  • Peace knowing Jesus is in control of every situation.
  • Courage knowing that I'm never alone.
  • All my needs provided for because Jesus is my provider.
  • Friendship knowing that Jesus is a friend that sticks closer than a brother.
  • Health because Jesus heals.
  • Salvation and hope for tomorrow because He has saved me by his blood.
When I think about the Lord, how he saved me, how he raised me, how he filled me with the Holy Ghost......It makes me want to shout Hallelujah, thank you Jesus, Lord you're worthy, of all the honor and all of the glory and all of the praise!! (Everett, Shane Barnard & Shane) Oh what a Savior!!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome, lady!! Keep those thoughts and blogs comin'. Miss ya and can't wait to have ya'll for Thanksgiving! Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I do enjoy this. I am also looking forward to Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete