Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Do it for the right reason!

Well, we're through the first month of the new year. Parties are over, that new year feeling is quickly fading away and life is taking on the normalcy of day-to-day living. I sit here this morning after devotions, drinking my coffee, pondering..........

A new year is like a challenge, a new opportunity. For some reason there's a feeling that whatever has happened in the past its behind us and we can begin all over. Some people start the new year by making a resolution to change. There's a lot of data on the information highway about this topic. Here is a list of the top ten most popular new years resolutions that I found:

  1. Spend More time with Family & Friends
  2. Fit in Fitness
  3. Tame the Bulge
  4. Quit Smoking
  5. Enjoy Life More
  6. Quit Drinking
  7. Get Out of Debt
  8. Learn Something New
  9. Help Others
  10. Get Organized
Based on some statistics I saw today, the following shows how many of these resolutions are maintained as time goes on:
- past the first week: 75%
- past 2 weeks: 71%
- after one month: 64%
- after 6 months: 46%

Using this information, it seems to indicate that approximately two-thrids of these folks have already given up on the challenge to change. If they are anything like me, there are several very good reasons why the change they planned on was either impractical to begin with or cannot be achieved because ________; you fill in the blank.

Me? I did not make any new years resolution, this year. I am smart and mature now and don't need to challenge myself with a resolve to change motivated by this tradition that doesn't work any way. I will not be a statistic!

Reviewing the top ten list, I find a couple interesting things to ponder on. 1) All these resolutions take a personal commitment of my time, and 2) In order to achieve these resolutions, one must be disciplined.

Now it's becoming more clear than ever before why approximately two-thirds of the people who made a new years resolution have already given up their resolve to change. Giving our time and being disciplined are not easy areas of our lives to change.

Why do we do this? Why do we complain about our weight or our lack of time to be more engaged with family or friends? Why do we give up after so few days pursuing dreams or desires that year after year we long to achieve? Why do we year after year resolve to meet the same goals?

I will answer for me. It's not a lack of time; I know we all have the same 24 hours a day. It's not a lack of money; these resolutions don't really have to impact my spending budget. It's really that I have not yet truly decided to change. Because when I do, I will achieve what I set out to do.

Those who truly want a better life must continually make time for the activities to achieve it. They must develop the disciplines and habits required to achieve their goals. Then, the most important of all, they must make this a lifestyle change. Too many times the goal is temporary and they revert back to the old way of life.

Bottom line is, if I want to achieve success in any of these ten areas, I must want it for the right reason. When I have the right motivation or reason, I will make the time, I will have the discipline, and I will achieve what I have resolved to do.

I've been putting things off. Just like I put off making any resolutions or goals for this year. How about you? Whatever you have chosen to do, do it for the right reason!

No comments:

Post a Comment