Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Let's Get Naked!

There’s nothing like having way too many clothes on. Not only is it hard to move around, but you can get overheated as well. When getting ready to go backpacking in cold weather, I’ve heard the park rangers caution everyone not to overdress. Sweating underneath too many clothes can be as dangerous as not having enough clothing on.

When I was a younger girl, clothing was of some significance in our Western culture. Girls who were pure when they married wore white wedding dresses. If you were going to church, you wore the very best clothing you had and women NEVER wore pants. We did not have ‘dress-down’ Friday’s at work. Women had to wear nylons at work. Men had to wear suit coats. Easter was the first time you could wear white shoes; you never wore white shoes after Memorial Day weekend. If you were going to a funeral, you never wore any bright clothing; it was navy blue, dark brown or black.

There are many references to clothing in the Bible. Clothing was a tool used to identify a person’s position, culture, religion or status in life. Sackcloth was used as a sign of mourning or deep repentance. One phrase I see a lot is they “rent their clothing”. Often it is used to demonstrate a person’s emotion when they were overcome with grief, shame or humiliation.

Clothing can cover a lot of things. If you’re too thin, wear stripes that are broad and run horizontal to the ground. If you’re on the heavier side and want to wear stripes, wear clothing with stripes that are thinner and run vertical to the ground. If you are broad in the shoulders and want to appear smaller, wear v-necklines. If you are too thin in the shoulders, wear square necklines. These are illusions. You’re still too thin or heavy, yet the clothing helps to emphasize or disguise the facts.

The lack of clothing uncovers a lot of things. I know I don’t have to describe this statement because each and everyone of you reading this right now have some mental images playing around in your mind.

Just as clothing can cover and/or disguise things, so can our actions. Our actions can cover and disguise who and what we are.

Have you ever told someone that you knew what they were getting for their birthday for that special someone because you helped to pick it out? Then that someone begged and coerced you into telling them what it was? You cave into their persuasive powers and spill the beans. You tell them because you know that they can be trusted and you make them promise that they will act like they don’t know and BE surprised? Oh my word!! Can YOU even do that? Be serious! That is NEVER going to be possible. Guess who will never help someone buy a birthday gift again? YOU!! Actions are hard to fake, but some of us have mastered the craft.

Jesus exposed some people who had superior talents in this area. In Matthew 23 he talks about the Pharisees. Jesus told his followers that the Pharisees works were being done so people would see them; their beautiful prayer shawls and the borders of their garments were super-sized. (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+23&version=KJV) He goes on through this chapter to uncover their lies and hypocrisy.

I love how the Message version of the Bible translates the 23rd and 24th verses. “You’re hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God’s Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment – the absolute basics!—you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required. Do you have any idea how silly you look, writing a life story that’s wrong from start to finish, nitpicking over commas and semicolons?”

After carefully considering this chapter in Matthew, I’ve decided I want to get naked! Naked before God and the world! I don’t want what I wear or what I say to define who I am. I want my actions to reflect Christ within the hope of the world. I want them to know me because I love you and everyone else I come into contact with. (John 13:35)

The model we should be following for ministry is Jesus Christ. His model?

1) He ministered to the men who he shared all areas of his life.

2) He had an attitude and demonstration of servanthood to all!

3) He had a comprehensive command of relational love.

You cannot share all areas of your life if you’re not naked; transparent. If you put on all that fancy stuff and use those Harvard terms when talking to others and can’t get down to the 6th grade level of communication, then you’re going to have a hard time with being a servant. If you don’t understand people from all walks of life and welcome discussions and interactions with them on a personal level, don’t you be expecting to win them to Christ.

I want to be honest, pure, holy, righteous and full of compassion and love as Jesus was. I want to win my world, those people I work and live with, to Jesus Christ. And I’m asking myself this question, how much do I want it? Do I want it enough to get naked?

No comments:

Post a Comment